Since 2000, we have opened our hearts to thousands of community members, offering free theatrical works and accessible live experiences that continue to inspire adults and children alike.
Connecticut Free Shakespeare's mission is to produce free-to-the-public professional works of classical theater in an accessible, skillful, imaginative, American style that honors the playwright's language and intentions, and that crafts these plays with a 21st century sensibility.
CFS is committed to mounting productions designed to reach a broad range of audience members, including those not familiar with classical work, without jeopardizing artistic integrity.
In doing so, we create point-of-entry theater for youth and adults, contributing to the vibrant arts culture in Connecticut.
HOW WE ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
- CFS utilizes skilled, professional actors to act as mentors for our non-union understudies and interns.
- Our partnership with The Workplace provides inner-city youth the unique opportunity to work alongside professionals in the performance and technical aspects of the theater-making process.
- Our Youth Summer Camp and seasonal educational programs offer youngsters a fun & interactive opportunity to engage with the artistic process.
- Our classical adaptations are accessible in language, without sacrificing the artistic intentions of the playwright.
- Each year, we reach thousands of Connecticut residents, offering FREE theater in outdoor venues.
- Our new outreach program, CFS GO, furthers our mission of inclusion and access by bringing Shakespeare to community centers, prisons, and shelters.